FREE RIDES AROUND THE NEIGHBORHOOD
FRAN is the newest ticket to exploring all that Center City Anaheim has to offer. The app-based microtransit service, launched by the City of Anaheim and Anaheim Resort Transportation, provides Orange County visitors with Free Rides Around the Neighborhood (FRAN) to multiple stops throughout the Center City (CtrCity) area. Requesting a shared FRAN is completely free for passengers, so discovering landmarks in Center City has never been easier or more cost-effective.
How to Request a FRAN
Visitors can score a shared ride aboard one of the colorful black and orange sustainable electric vehicles on-demand. Get started by downloading the CtrCity Anaheim mobile app, a free smartphone application available on Android and Apple devices. After registering for an account, the easy-to-use dashboard offers the current average wait time and options to request a FRAN or explore nearby destinations.
The free app puts visitors in total control of their ride. After selecting a pick-up spot and destination, passengers are prompted to enter the number of adults and children—up to five passengers—and confirm if they have a mobility device and/or stroller.
Where to Ride
The fleet of 10 electric vehicles connects some of the most popular destinations across Center City Anaheim. Since FRAN provides on-demand rides, it doesn’t follow a fixed route like typical public transportation systems. Its service area stretches the corridor known as Center City (“Ctr City”), with fixed pick-up and drop-off points clustered along Anaheim Boulevard.
Eight destinations are currently available, with two planned for launch in August 2019. Check out the guide below for a curated list of nearby shops, restaurants and activities to explore.
- The Circle Stop: Lace up a pair of skates and step into the rink for a public skating session at Anaheim ICE, or shop a curated collection of home goods and apparel at the RARE boutique.
- Center Street: Grab a quick bite on the go at Good Food, a mini food hall with walk-up restaurant options like Healthy Junk, Cervantes Mexican Kitchen and K&A Cafe.
- Carnegie Plaza: MUZEO is an Anaheim institution celebrating local arts and culture in a series of unique exhibits spanning two galleries.
- Kraemer: Take a quick walking tour to snap a photo outside the Samuel Kraemer Building, the first high-rise in Orange County and a landmark on the National Register of Historic Places. Also nearby is the downtown Community Center, which houses Center Gallery’s rotating exhibition of works by local artists.
- City Hall: For any official government business, this is the closest stop to Anaheim City Hall.
- Electrica: Coming August 2019
- Farmer’s Park:The grassy Farmer’s Park area is home to the newly opened Cultivation Kitchen, a locally-sourced, organic restaurant located inside a beautiful greenhouse. Right next door, visitors can also grab a beer at the revived pre-Prohibition Anaheim Brewery.
- Packing House: A crown jewel of Orange County’s culinary scene, the Packing House brings together some of region’s most popular chefs and mixologists under one roof where they serve up creative food and drink options with communal spaces to sip, savor and people-watch.
- MAKE: The MAKE building is a hub for dining and entertainment where visitors can get an eclectic taste of Anaheim. There’s something for everything at this makers’ haven, including cheese and a vino tastings at Pali Wine Co., craft beers at the superhero-inspired Unsung Brewery, and finger-lickin’-good barbeque at Jav’s BBQ.
- Leisuretown: Coming August 2019
“Now that the FRAN fleet has hit the street, you can experience so much more during your visit to CtrCity,” says Diana Kotler, Executive Director of Anaheim Resort Transportation. “A night at the museum can turn into dinner and drinks with just a few taps on the Anaheim CtrCity app. Minutes later, you'll be on your way in an all-electric, six-passenger vehicle including a friendly and knowledgeable driver. Whether you are looking to explore the area, or just need a ride back to your car, you'll be sure to have a FRAN-tastic experience!”